4 Servings 35 Mins
Prep Time 20
Total Time 35
Meets Dietary Restrictions
1 Obela Beetroot Hommus
200g Piece beef eye fillet, cut into 3-4cm thick slices
2 Blood oranges, segmented
1 Small handful of dill sprigs
150ml White vinegar
1 Tablespoon caster sugar
2 Teaspoons sea salt
½ Teaspoon coriander seeds
¼ Teaspoon fennel seeds
¼ Teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
4-6 Baby beetroot, cut into small quarters
4 Baby target beetroot, thinly sliced
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
1 Shallot, roughly chopped
2 Cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 Teaspoon sea salt
1 Teaspoon mustard powder
½ Teaspoon cinnamon
¼ Teaspoon white pepper
1 Juice from segmented oranges
10ml Extra virgin olive oil
20ml Balsamic vinegar
- For marinade, place cumin seeds into a mortar and pestle and grind to a fine powder. Add shallot, garlic and sea salt and grind to a fine paste. Add remaining ingredients and mix with the pestle to combine.
- Place beef in a deep bowl and pour over marinade, ensuring to cover. Leave to at least one hour or preferably overnight.
- For the pickled beetroot, place the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and spices into a saucepan over a medium heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place each type of beetroot into separate bowls and pour over pickling liquid to cover. Leave to pickle for 20 minutes to an hour.
- Heat a medium frying pan over a high heat and when its smoking add the beef, cooking for 3-4 minutes in each side to medium rare or until cooked to your liking. Remove and allow to rest.
- To serve, thinly slice beef and drain beetroot from the pickling liquid. Spread generous spoonfuls of Obela Beetroot Hommus into the base of 4 shallow bowls, trying to somewhat line the base and some of the sides. Fill with beef, pickled beetroot and segments of orange. Garnish with dill sprigs.